My results from the quiz showed
that I belonged to the Bourgeois Vous,
or the upper-middle class. I this reflects pretty accurately on my life. I do
indeed eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and our house contains many books. I
do view people in a positive light (unless they demonstrate otherwise) and I am
not a fan of heavy metal music. I found it interesting how the length my parent’s
breast fed me helped determine my class. I also thought it was different how
choosing to eat food without paying or spy for a competitor gave a person a
higher score on the social ladder.
The
article “Shadowy Lines That Still Divide” by Janny Scott and David Leonhardt
shares many similarities and difference to my life and how social class defines
and affects it. The article states that “mobility…has flattened out or possible
even declined”. I find this very true. It is harder now with worldwide completion
to become more successful than your parents. Everyone is vying for that top
spot or that loophole. Living in McFarland, a town that is pretty well off, I
see how parents “scramble to scoop up a house in the best school district,
channel a child into the best preschool program, and land the best medical
specialist…”; My parents were the same way, which probably why I still go to
McFarland and why they push me so hard to be the best. This is why I don’t
agree with the article’s statement: “Parents with money, education and
connections cultivate in their children the habits that mediocrity awards”.
This seems completely flawed in my personal case. My parents push me to be the
best I can be so that hopefully my life could be easier than theirs. There is
that constant pressure to succeed, not to settle for anything, especially mediocrity.
I agree with the
main message in the article “Money Always Talks” by Daphne Merkin. I think that
“the rich are different”. The article also states, “They make us think we would do better if we had their dough….Or,
at least, we want the option to prove our
lofty conjectures”. As
the upper-middle class, I constantly see people talking about how they could
change the world if they had the chance, or they would spend the money more
wisely. What gets me is how money can inspire and corrupt people. Sure it can
change your social class in an instant, but what if it changes you as a person?
This thought may reflect on my social class, always trying to see the best in
people, but money can flip people. Is it really worth it?
This leads into the film People like Us was very eye opening. It
showed me that the rich really don’t have it all. They can be arrogant and
selfish and naive, just like the rest of us. It is not their fault, but the
fault of the class system. The boys from the mobile home wanted nothing but an
education and a future, and I am sitting here complaining about how slow this
laptop is. This divide of wants and wills shows that the class system is still
here in the United States; those in need should be given more aid. I hope that
in the future the class system will be something based on merit and honor and
kindness, not money because in the end, money is just paper.
I disagree with your statement "They can be arrogant and selfish and naive, just like the rest of us. It is not their fault, but the fault of the class system." I don't think that people who are rich can blame the class system for their attitudes, but that everyone should be accountable for themselves and their actions, regardless of the class they were born into. Otherwise, I agree with most of what you said. I like how you talked about the decline of mobility in the United States, and I agree that it seems to be more difficult to accomplish than it once was.
ReplyDelete