As a
female, I found that all of these essays somewhat connected to my life in some
way. I thought that the variety of style in each piece was interesting and made
me look at things in different way. I will say however that a few of the pieces
were a little hard to interpret at first.
The main
theme in each essay was about feminism and discrimination against women in the past
and the present. I think the most insulting comment someone can make to a woman
is that they are weak. Women are so strong in so many ways. They should get
more credit for how much strength they bring both physically and emotionally.
Throughout time women have been thought of as second class citizens. In Margaret
Fuller’s piece, she mentioned “And knowing there exists, in the world of men, a
tone or feeling toward women as towards slaves…” (pg. 1). I had never made this connection
before, yet in some ways it seems true. Women have been thought as only capable
of domestic chores such as cooking and cleaning and caring for children, while
the men are free to work and live their own lives. Does that seem like a slave
to you?
Another fascinating
point made was that men seem to care more about their position in social status
or view in society then women. Gloria Steinem’s whole essay was about how if
men could menstruate, it would almost become a bragging right on who could
menstruate the longest, heaviest, etc. Obviously men can’t menstruate and women
can, and you don’t see in society as it being as a positive thing in a way. I
don’t know many girls who enjoy their period. I just found this point very
interesting and a good way to show the male psyche verses the female.
I find that
being discriminated as a woman is still present in society today. Some can
argue that is improving, and yes it has. Women are allowed to vote and work and
have more rights. I feel however, that there are a lot of under the radar
issues still present. Each of these writes who wrote their pieces felt
discriminated in some way just because they are a woman.
Overall, I found
these essays to be inspiring. I want to prove history and the stereotypes
wrong. I want to be a successful strong woman. I don’t want to be another
domesticated housewife that does a man’s bidding. I want to step out on my own
and make my own place in life.
I find the fact woman's struggle for their rights is not a new cause both inspiring and sad. Inspiring, because like you said, there were woman who were not simply content being housewives and listening to men. Sad because they shouldn't have had to fight for those rights in the first place.
ReplyDeleteI agree that it is deplorable that women are still viewed as the weaker sex. Have we not progressed past this stereotype? Abby, I think that you, Laura and I shall be the ones to change this! Let's go out and be the successful women that I know we will be in this world! (:
ReplyDeleteI didn't originally see these articles as inspiring. I took them as very interesting, but I guess you're right. They are, in their own way, inspiring. They made me realize how thankful I should be for how far we women have come in the last hundred years or so, but we still have some way to go. Those darn "get in the kitchen" jokes, for example, get old after a few hundred times, and I truly do not think that they are funny.
ReplyDeleteI hope to see you in AP Comp!
I totally agree that one of the most offensive comments you can make to a woman is that she is weak. I liked your conclusion where you mentioned how you want to prove the stereotypes and history wrong, and be your own, strong person. I personally feel this way too!
ReplyDelete