Every
child learns about racism and the Civil Rights movement during their academic
years. I think it is important to hear about first- hand accounts of racism
from those who lived it. Richard’s essay told his personal experience with the Jim
Crow Laws, which were a set a prejudice and unjust laws put in action to limit
the rights of African Americans.
What I found
interesting about Richard’s essay was how he told about his “education” of the
Jim Crow Laws. His first encounter was when he was a young boy throwing cinders
at the white boys. His mother informed him that he was right to get hit with a
milk bottle and gave him a severe beating. Later in the essay he talks about
various jobs he held, such as working at the optical factory or the store. What
attracted my attention was the way he presented his “education”. He seemed naïve
about the Jim Crow Laws, especially when he confided in his black companions.
Richard seemed like the only one who was surprised about what was happening and
even questioned if these laws were right. An example is when the store owner’s
son beat up the black woman and when Richard asked one of his friends about it,
they replied, “Hell, it’s a wonder they didn't lay her when they got through.”
(pg. 6).
Another
startling aspect of this essay that stuck to me was how the black people were
so nonchalant about the treatment of their peers. They seemed lifeless and
drained, almost brainwashed to believe that they were indeed lower than the
whites and they somehow deserved this treatment. I guess after growing up with
the laws, they didn't question, but simply accepted them as the way of life and
how things were always going to be.
Again I
want to stress how Richard seemed to be the sole one questioning the Jim Crow
Laws. Maybe that’s how it all starts though, simply by a person asking a
question. Is this right? How do you think the Civil Rights movement started?
People were fed up with the mistreatment. I would like to think the Civil Rights
movement began with those similar to Richard. Even though he began to accept
them when he moved to the hotel, I would like to bring you back to his
childhood when he was naïve. You can see the possibility of change in him, and that’s
what inspires others and me.
I think you made some good points in this essay! The point about how this kind of treatment started the Civil Rights Movement was something I hadn't even considered. In it, however, it sounded to me like you didn't understand why Richard was the only one who questioned the laws. It was my interpretation that because he grew up in such a sheltered community, he only had a small glimpse of the "Jim Crow" laws when he entered into the work-force. I definitely understand how you felt while reading this, because I was equally surprised and disgusted by some of the things that happened in the story.
ReplyDelete